First Step Inc - Logo
Serving the Sioux Falls and Brookings Areas    Sioux Falls 605-361-1505
Brookings 605-693-3629
“The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are.” 


Frequently Asked Questions

Explore Our FAQs About Drug and Alcohol Dependency

In over 30 years of experience, we've heard many of the same questions again and again. We've compiled these FAQs to help you quickly answer some of the most common questions. If you're concerned about addiction to drugs or alcohol in your life or in the life of someone you know, contact us in Sioux Falls or Brookings. Help is available.

The Questions

Q: How do I know if I need an evaluation?
A: If it causes a problem, it is a problem.

Q: Will the programs satisfy court-mandated requirements?
A: The courts typically require clients to follow recommendations as far as evaluations are concerned. We are certified by the state of South Dakota, and all of our counselors are Certified & Licensed Addiction Counselors.

Q: Will my health insurance pay for the treatment programs?
A: Since insurance plans and coverage vary widely, contact us for more details about insurance coverage. We do require that you pay up front, and you will be reimbursed if we receive payment from the insurance company.

Q: What is the cost of the programs?
A: The cost is dependent on which program is recommended. Call our office in Sioux Falls or Brookings for more information.

Q: How long do the treatment programs last?
A: First Step has 12-, 16-, 24-, and 54-hour programs.

Q: Are services only available in Sioux Falls?
A: No, we also offer our services in Brookings.

Q: Could one of my family members have a substance abuse problem?
A: If you are concerned about someone you love having a problem, contact a professional chemical dependency counselor. We have the expertise and training to complete an evaluation to determine if a problem exists.

Q: What can I do to support my chemical-dependent family member?
A: You can go to a group called Al-Anon, which supports people who have chemical dependency problems. Counseling for family members is also available at our facilities.

Q: Do I have to quit drinking forever?
A: Alcohol dependency is a chronic progressive disease, without intervention it always gets worse – never better. Therefore, a chemically dependent person can never go back to using.

Q: Do I have to go to AA?
A: AA has proven to be the most successful recovery program. It is an organization for men and women who want to quit drinking and help others to do so. It is important for a chemically dependent person to have ongoing support.
Now Is the Time
to Find Help

Contact Us
Our treatment stresses and utilizes
12-step recovery programs.

First Step is fully accredited by the
State Board of Addiction and Prevention Professionals and the Department of Social Services.
Share by: